It's the Green Hat

It's the Green Hat
Hot in the cold!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Where did all the R&B Groups go?

Good Evening Everybody,




For the last few months I have noticed that my iphone playlist has been in heavy rotation while I have been riding around Atlanta.  This is not unusual, as I pride myself on having a well rounded iphone library.  I was talking to one of my friends during our weekly Sunday night dinner and True Blood viewing, and the questions came up, "Where did all of the R&B Groups go?".  

While I was growing up the mere utterance of groups such as: The Commodores, Color Me Bad, Shai, Silk, 112, Envogue, SWV, Xscape, Brownstone, BlackStreet, Ideal, Jade, Destiny's Child, TLC and Jodeci sent instant good music vibrations up down your body.  Those were groups that had harmony, style, great lyrics and soul.  I am not so jaded as to assert that there is not any good music out today.  There are plenty of Artists making good music.  However, what the heck happened to the R&B Groups?!  I mean come on people, why are we listening to Rappers singing?  They are supposed to rap, not sing! All of a sudden, my car rides are being inundated with these bone head rappers, squawking out some weak melody.  Chris Brown and Trey Songz cannot be on every track that needs a good R&B singer; neither can Beyonce nor Alicia Keys. The world (or at least the USA) is not so bereft of soul singers that we have to depend on Rappers to sing, right?  

So, what should happen?  How about we get a group of individuals together who want to form a group and they get together with some awesome song writers (if need be) and give the public what they have been starving for...some awesome R&B groups?!
 
Also, as long as I am making this wish list, how about a group that can stay together for more than two or three years!  I mean Danity Kane would have been awesome today! As would have Destiny's Child (although I am sure they were together for longer than five years...well most of the members) would have made awesome music today.  Missy, Coco, Kandi....can you all help our singers...or even form a group of your own. The R&B groups need you now more than ever!

P.S. - P. Diddy, you created some amazing groups, in the future, could you please ensure that they have some longevity.  Thanks...an avid music fan

TADA

No comments:

Post a Comment